Monday, 28 May 2012

Hello world!



I didn't mean to post because I'm very busy with life minutiae right now BUT...

This picture was taken a few days ago in Madrid. A few days ago, not in 1940. What you see above is a Falange demonstration (the Fascist Party, still legal here) approved by our government. Just typing these sentences fills me with shame and rage but I know people around the world read my blog and, even if you're just a few, I think it is very important for you to be aware of the things that are happening in Europe. Don't be fooled, this has nothing to do with economy.

I feel it's a very complicated issue for us Spaniards. First, there's our grandparents' generation, those who lived a civil war won by the bad guys. They later saw their country, utterly destroyed, remain "neutral" (not really) during WWII. They lived most of their adult lives in a dictatorship, knowing nothing but fear, hardships and repression (especially if you had lost the war). Then came our parents and here there's a clear division: those who belonged to the middle classes and those who were working class (they probably had lost the war) (a.k.a. my family). The first group was educated and rebellious, they wanted to bring down the system. The second, if my parents are anything to judge by, continued with the same lifestyle of their parents until they jumped on the Democracy bandwagon. And then there's us, those who were born in a free and peaceful country but are now living in strange times. But... was Spain free and peaceful after all?

I'm not fit for a political essay and I can't begin to explain the complicated history of my country, especially if you know very little of Spain BUT...

People living outside Europe, just so you know, the results of the Greek elections did not happen in a void. This continent is rotten and in some places, like Spain, we didn't take a hard look at the mirror before shedding the past. In fact, we didn't shed the past. We just put a nice ribbon on it and called it Transition. People living outside Europe, you should care about all these things because they are contagious.



In case you want to take a look at the photos of the demonstration, click here. If you want to learn about the context, here's the wikipedia entry.


4 comments:

  1. All I can say is that this is terrifying :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, terrifying and something that shouldn't be happening now

      Delete
  2. Ilegal en el resto de paises excepto en este... spain es verdaderamente diferent (estoy por pedir el exilio político a, no sé, Australia).
    Que triste me pone ver estas fotos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A mi me pone de muy mala leche, pero sí, es ciertamente triste que pasen cosas de estas aún en este país. A mi Australia me parece cada día un destino más apetecible, sinceramente. Por lo lejos que está de Europa, vamos.

      Delete